Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /nfs/c12/h07/mnt/219631/domains/law.humphreys.edu/html/wp-content/plugins/divi-builder/includes/builder/functions.php on line 5787
Financial Aid – Drivon School of Law
(209) 478-0800

Financial Aid

Humphreys University Financial Aid is proud to provide law students with the highest level of professional service and counseling.

Our staff is available to help answer almost any financial-related question you may have. The mission of the Humphreys University Financial Aid Office is to provide all information, services, and assemble financial aid resources that are available to, or needed by, students. To better provide you the resources you need, we have provided important information on this page to help you understand your financial aid policies, procedures, and other information.


While the information on this and other pages of this website are thought to be accurate at the time of posting, financial aid requirements, terms and other specifics change regularly and sometimes without notice. In addition, no website can comprehensively provide all information related to any particular financial aid topic. We encourage you to learn more about all financial aid options available to you by exploring this website in conjunction with other resources and by speaking with a Financial Aid representative.

Financial Aid Overview

The purpose of financial aid at Humphreys University is to assist students who, because of financial constraints, might not otherwise have the resources to pursue a University education in their chosen fields. A student’s financial need is determined by the difference between the total cost of attending Humphreys University and the contribution the student and his or her family is expected to make toward this cost. The total cost of attending Humphreys University includes tuition and fees, room and board, books and supplies, personal expenses, and transportation.

In order to determine if a student qualifies for financial aid, his or her income and asset information must be evaluated according to an approved needs analysis system known as the Federal Methodology. All the data used to calculate a student’s Expected Family Contribution (EFC) comes from the information the student provides on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The FAFSA determines the amount of money a family is expected to contribute to the price of attending a postsecondary institution. The results of the FAFSA are used in determining student loan eligibility.

Humphreys University maintains a varied financial assistance program in order to meet the needs of all students. The University’s institutional eligibility to administer Title IV funds (financial aid) extends to all of the programs listed in this bulletin.

Application forms and more detailed information about the financial aid application process, deadlines, and student eligibility, may be obtained from the Financial Aid Department. Students who do not have a bachelor’s degree will need to contact the Financial Aid Department to assess their eligibility for federal loans.

Humphreys University has counselors available to answer questions and assist with financial aid applications. New Federal Direct loan borrowers must complete online entrance loan counseling as well as a Master Promissory Note at studentloans.gov. Withdrawing completely or dropping to less than six units will affect a student’s eligibility to receive financial aid in subsequent terms. Any and all funds scheduled for the forthcoming quarter will be cancelled and an exit loan interview will be required prior to awarding additional financial aid.

Financial Aid & University Budget

Humphreys University uses information provided by the California Student Aid Commission to determine the student costs of attendance (Student Expense Budget). The Student Expense Budget takes into consideration the following items:

  1. Tuition and fees
  2. Books and supplies
  3. Room and board
  4. Transportation
  5. Personal and miscellaneous expenses
  6. Loan fees – For student borrowers, actual or average loan origination and insurance fees apply.
  7. Dependent care, if applicable (must be documented by the student).
Types of Financial Aid

Students enrolled in the Drivon School of Law are eligible to apply for the following federally sponsored programs:

  • Federal Work Study

  • Federal Direct Loans


Federal Work Study (FWS) provides federal funds for student employment which is supplemented by funds from Humphreys University.  Students must demonstrate financial need and must be enrolled for at least half-time in order to be eligible for FWS.  Money is earned hourly and is paid directly to the student bi-weekly.  FWS employment may be used as a means of helping to finance a student’s education or career objectives.  Interested and eligible should contact the Financial Aid Department for a Federal Work-Study Application.

The William D. Ford, Federal Direct Loan Student Loan Program (FDSLP) provides low interest rate loans to postsecondary students. It is managed by the U.S. Department of Education and is the only government backed loan program in the United States.  Students who wish to apply for funding from the Federal Direct Loan program must first submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Several types of loans are available under the FDSLP, including Subsidized Direct Loans, Unsubsidized Direct Loans, and Direct Graduate Plus Loans.  Federal Direct loans are the major form of financial aid for graduate students. Any regular eligible student enrolled at least half-time may borrow student loans.  Graduate students no longer qualify for subsidized Stafford loans.  Graduate students may borrow an additional amount in unsubsidized loans equal to the amount they otherwise would have received in subsidized loans.  The unsubsidized loan is a non-need based loan with a maximum of $20,500.00 per academic year.  Most students are eligible for the maximum annual loan limit with lesser of $20,500.00 or the cost of attendance minus other financial aid.  Interest accrues on the Direct Unsubsidized loan beginning at disbursement until it is paid in full.  The interest is the borrower’s responsibility. Borrowers can choose to pay the interest quarterly or allow the interest to accrue and capitalize after their six-month grace period expires.

Repayment begins six months after graduation, when dropping to less than half-time enrollment status, or when completely withdrawing from an academic program. A grace period begins the day after the student stops attending school on at least a half-time basis. Once the grace period ends, repayment begins on the Subsidized and Unsubsidized Direct Loans.  The Consolidated Appropriations Act of 2012 eliminated the interest subsidy during the six-month grace period for subsidized loans for which a first disbursement is made on or after July 1, 2012, and before July 1, 2014.  Students who qualify for a Direct Subsidized loan will not be charged interest while in school at least half-time or during eligible periods of deferment.

The maximum total debt allowed from the Department of Education for non-health related professions is $138,500. This maximum total graduate debt limit includes Stafford Loans received for undergraduate study.

Graduate students are also eligible to borrow under the PLUS loan program up to their cost of attendance minus other estimated financial assistance.  Federal Direct unsubsidized loans must be applied first.  The terms and conditions include that applicants must not have adverse credit history and repayment begins on the date of the last disbursement of the loans (students still in school on at least a half-time basis may request an in in-school forbearance to postpone repayment).  Unlike private loans, PLUS loans are easier to qualify for, federally regulated, capped at 9% interest rate (can never exceed that rate) and able to be consolidated with Federal Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized loans upon graduation.  Further information is available at www.studentloans.gov.

General Eligibility Requirements

The general financial aid eligibility requirements are the following:

  1. Be accepted to the Law Program as a regular student
  2. Be a US citizen or eligible non-citizen
  3. Not in default on a federal student loan or refund required to a federal grant program
  4. Registration with Selective Service (if required)
  5. Be making and maintaining Satisfactory Academic Progress as required by Law School policy.
  6. Be enrolled in a minimum of six units during any one quarter.
Dropping Classes

Return of Title IV Funds: (Refunds/Withdrawals)

Federal regulations make it clear that Title IV funds are awarded to a student under the assumption that the student will attend the entire period for which the assistance is awarded. When a student withdraws, the student may no longer be eligible for the full amount of Title IV funds that the student was originally scheduled to receive.

When a student withdraws, the Financial Aid Department must calculate the amount of financial aid earned prior to withdrawing. This process applies to students that discontinue enrollment in all classes, on or after the first day of the quarter. This assumes the student actually began attendance. Once a student withdraws, two separate calculations must take place: a refund of tuition and, a return to Title IV.

Any aid received in excess of the earned amount is considered unearned. The unearned financial aid must be returned to the respective programs. The calculation is based upon the amount of Title IV aid for which the student was eligible. The amount of Title IV program assistance earned is based on the amount of time the student spent in academic attendance; it has no relationship to the student’s incurred institutional charges.

The amount of earned financial aid is calculated on a daily basis from the first day of classes. The process uses calendar days rather than business days. The earned aid is determined by taking the number of days attended before withdrawing divided by the total number of days in the quarter. (First day of instruction until the last day of finals, excluding Christmas and Spring breaks). The return policy applies to students that withdraw on or before the 60% point of the quarter. Withdrawal after this date will not result in any adjustment to a student’s financial aid for that given quarter. However, funding scheduled for the subsequent quarter will be cancelled. Students who have financial aid returned will be notified in writing. If the amount disbursed to the student is less than the amount the student earned, he or she is eligible to receive a post-withdrawal disbursement of the earned aid that was not receive.

Once the earned and unearned aid percentages are determined, the next step is to calculate the dollar amount of unearned aid that must be returned. The Return amount is determined by multiplying the unearned aid percentage by the total aid received.

Unearned Aid Percentage
Total of All Title IV Funds Received


Total Unearned Aid


The amount of unearned aid that must be returned by Humphreys University is a percentage of institutional charges for the quarter. Once the dollar amount of the school portion of the Return is determined, it is compared to the total amount of all unearned aid. If the school’s potion is less than the total unearned aid, then Humphreys University must return the amount indicated as the school portion. If the calculated school portion exceeds the total unearned aid, then Humphreys University must return the amount of the total unearned aid.

Financial aid will be returned to the aid program from which it came. If returned to a loan program, the outstanding balance will be reduced by the amount of the Return. Aid will be returned in the following order:

1 Direct Unsubsidized Loan
2 Direct Subsidized Loan
3 Direct Grad Plus Loan
4 Other Title IV Aid


In most cases, the tuition adjustment assessed will be less than the amount of the school portion of Title IV funds. When you withdraw from school, a balance will be created on your student account at Humphreys University for the difference between the tuition adjustment and the refund amount. The student will be responsible for paying the balance in addition to any other balance created from the student portion of the refund.

After the school returns the correct amount of aid, any amount of the total unearned aid that remains becomes the student portion of the Return. The student portion of the Return is calculated by subtracting the amount of the school Return from the total unearned aid. Depending on the remaining sources of aid after the school Return, the student portion of the Return is distributed back to the aid program from which it was awarded. Any amount of the Return allocated to loans is repayable after the student leaves Humphreys University and enters repayment according to the terms and conditions of those loans.

Should a student’s loan(s) go into repayment after withdrawal it is important to make the payments as scheduled to prevent default. Once in default, a student is no longer eligible for future financial aid.

Worksheets used to determine the amount of return of funds are available upon request from the Financial Aid Department. A student may compute a rough estimate of Return to Title IV calculation by using the RTIV calculation at http://ifap.ed.gov/aidworksheets/attachments/2008CreditHourR2T4.pdf. Financial Aid Department encourages students to meet with a Financial Aid Counselor prior to withdrawing and obtain information regarding the consequences of a complete withdrawal (i.e., financial ramifications, repayment obligations and satisfactory academic issues, etc.)

The “date of the institution’s determination that the student withdrew” captures the point in time when a school could reasonably be expected to be aware that a student withdrew Humphreys University Tuition Refund Policy is computed on the last day of attendance.

Financial Aid assistance is readily available to answer questions and assist with financial aid applications. Students who are interested in student loans, Direct Loan Entrance and Exit loan counseling is required regardless if it was completed at a previous institution.

Maximum Time Frame

A student has a maximum of six years, (72 months), starting with the month in which they begin, to complete the study of law.  This includes any repeats of classes or “Start Over”.

Satisfactory Academic Progress

A law student will be considered to be making satisfactory academic progress if the student has a cumulative grade point average of 70, and has successfully completed two-thirds of the units attempted.  Additionally, at the end of the second year (59 units), a student must have a GPA of 70 and have completed at least two-thirds of the attempted units.

  1. Satisfactory progress will be measured at the end of each academic year (3 quarters).
  2. A student not making satisfactory progress will be dismissed and lose eligibility for financial aid.
  3. The decision to dismiss or deny financial aid eligibility may be appealed; see below.
  4. A student’s academic progress will be assessed in the third quarter of an academic year, as soon as grades are received, (normally by the 4th week). A student found not to be making satisfactory progress after completion of the second quarter of any three-quarter academic year, will be placed on warning for the remainder of the third quarter.  Such student will be allowed to enroll in the subsequent quarter (4th quarter) until grades are received and progress for the warning quarter can be assessed, subject to the following:
    1. The student will not pay tuition or receive financial aid for the fourth quarter until satisfactory progress is assessed.
    2. If satisfactory progress is achieved during the warning quarter, the student will be removed from warning status, will receive financial aid and pay tuition for the quarter.
    3. If satisfactory progress during the warning quarter is not achieved, the student has the following options:
      1. Withdraw from all classes immediately.

Within 5 days of notification of unsatisfactory progress, file an appeal to continue (see below).  If the appeal is granted, the student

  1. may continue that quarter (4th quarter) on probation, will receive financial aid and pay tuition for the quarter.
  • If the appeal is not granted, the student will immediately withdraw from all classes, tuition will not be charged and financial aid will not be disbursed.
Other Factors Regarding Satisfactory Academic Progress

Repeated Coursework

Students who retake a previously failed course (65 or below) are eligible for financial aid.  Courses that are repeated are used in the calculation of SAP.

Review of SAP Status

SAP will be measured at the end of each academic year (3 quarters).Based on the review; a student will have one of three financial aid classifications:

  1. Eligible: The student meets the requirements of SAP and is eligible for financial aid in the current quarter.
  2. Warning: A student found not to be making satisfactory progress after completion of the second quarter of any three-quarter academic year, will be placed on warning for the remainder of the third quarter. Such student will be allowed to enroll in the subsequent quarter (4th quarter) until grades are received and progress for the warning quarter can be assessed.
  3. Ineligible:  The student does not meet the requirements of SAP at the end of his/her Warning quarter. He/She is ineligible for financial aid at Humphreys University until SAP has been reestablished.
Reinstatement of Admission and Eligibility for Financial Aid

In order to be readmitted to the law school, and/or reestablish eligibility for financial aid, a student must sit out at least one full academic quarter and then file an appeal for reinstatement.

Book Vouchers

Humphreys University has developed a book voucher program to assist students who are eligible for financial aid with the purchase of books and supplies. Book vouchers allow students to charge their student account for the costs of required books and basic supplies (notebooks, pencils, pens, etc.) for registered courses. Students with expected excess financial aid, usually from a combination of grants and or loans funds, may be eligible for a book voucher. A book voucher does not represent additional financial aid and is granted to students solely for the purpose of purchasing books. The credit may only be used at Humphreys Universtiy bookstores (Stockton and Modesto campuses). Book vouchers must be used on the date of authorization. Not all students are eligible for a book voucher.

An authorized amount will be determined based on the student’s financial aid eligibility, units enrolled, and tuition charge at the time the student submits a book voucher request. The requested amount and authorized amount may differ. The authorized amount is the amount the student is able to use to purchase required books, basic supplies, and tools for registered courses.

If the student chooses to utilize a book voucher to obtain books and supplies, the Department of Education has indicated that the institution does not need to obtain written authorization to credit the student’s account with Title IV funds for books and supplies. The student may opt out of the above process implemented by Humphreys University by not requesting a book voucher.

A book voucher is funded through a student’s financial aid package. The student’s account will only be charged for the cost of the books charged, which will reduce the amount of any financial aid refund that the student may receive for the quarter.

Book Voucher Procedure

In order to be eligible for a book voucher, a student must meet the following:

  1. Have excess financial aid awarded and accepted after tuition costs are subtracted from his/her financial aid package sufficient to cover the book voucher request.
  2. Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress.
  3. Be registered for classes at least half time (6-8 units, undergraduate and law students; 4 units, master’s students) for the upcoming term.
  4. Have no overdue balance on his/her account or have been approved for an exception to register with an outstanding balance.
Requesting a Book Voucher

BE ADVISED the amount spent on books will be deducted from the scheduled financial aid refund. It is not free or additional funds. Book voucher requests require a 48-hour processing period.

  1. Submit a Book Voucher Request Form to the Financial Aid Department for the amount needed to purchase all required books and supplies. Book Vouchers Request Forms are available in the Financial Aid Department, Fiscal Office, and Humphreys University Book Store.
  2. The Financial Aid Office will review the student’s account and approve or deny the request.
  3. An e-mail notification will be sent to the student’s Humphreys University e-mail account indicating the date on which the book voucher will be available for pick up.
Using the Book Voucher

A student must present photo identification at the bookstore in order to purchase books and supplies using a book voucher. Books will not be sold without an authorized book voucher, photo identification, and copy of class schedule. By using a book voucher, the student is authorizing Humphreys University to deduct all bookstore charges from any amount of financial aid refund due to him/her. Financial Aid awards will be reduced as a result of these charges. The student is responsible to pay all bookstore charges not covered by financial aid credit at the time of purchase. This credit is for educational expenses associated only with classes in which the student is currently enrolled. Only the books required, according to the student’s class schedule, will be sold. Students are not permitted to purchase books for other students. Misuse of financial aid credit is in violation of federal regulations.

  1. Authorized book vouchers will be available to eligible students beginning finals week of every quarter. No exceptions are made to this policy.
  2. If a student’s financial aid eligibility changes or his/her awards require re-calculation due to a change in units, the student is responsible for the balance created on his/her student account from this book voucher.
  3. If a student does not receive his/her financial aid or withdraws prior to receiving his/her financial aid, all outstanding charges including the books charged will be his/her responsibility.

Laurence Drivon Scholarships:
One scholarship is awarded to the student who completes the first year of law school with the highest academic achievement.  A second scholarship is awarded on the base of financial need in the fourth year of law school.  These scholarships are determined by the Faculty Scholarship Committee.

Wallace F. Caldwell Academic Scholarship:
This scholarship is awarded annually to the third year student who has attained the highest cumulative grade point average during the first two years of study at Drivon School of Law.